Did you know we’ve not always been at this site? The original Community Centre located on Heldhaw Road was always intended to be a temporary structure after it was built in 1984. In the late 80’s / early 90’s, a committee was formed with the specific task of planning for a new Community Centre on the estate. In 1994, the Association were offered the land on which the building now stands but further lottery bids were turned down! 15 years after the original Centre was built, a National Lottery grant was finally awarded, topping up funds already raised by the Community Association and donations from St Edmundsbury Council, Greene King, Tim Brinton and Sainsbury’s. Building work began in May 1999 and the Moreton Hall Community Centre officially opened in May 2000. Good things come to those who wait!
Opening Day was quite an event! Being on the site of a Second World War plane crash in 1945, having the keys for the new building parachuted in by the RAF Regiment Free Fall seemed very apt indeed! More information about the plane crash can be found here, our Conference Room is dedicated to the Mission Mistress.
Today – in addition to the Social Club and rooms for hire – the building houses a Post Office and Library and is still run mostly by volunteers who live on Moreton Hall estate.
Association Chairman – Nigel Cross
Association Treasurer – Colin Houghton
Centre Manager – Katie Taylor
Club Chairman – Colin Houghton
Club Vice-Chairman – Matt Taylor
Bar Manager – Geoff Grimwood
Assistant Bar Manager – Rhiannon Merryweather
Trustees, Committee Members & Volunteers
Michelle Espin, Alison Phillips, Colin Green, Will Espin, Dan Phillips, Scott Day